Community Outreach Coordinator - Part Time
Rochester Hills, MI
The position is based in Rochester Hills, MI
The Community Outreach Coordinator works with the Rochester Hills Account Manager of RTS Recyclebank, LLC (“Recyclebank”) to execute key elements of Recyclebank’s longstanding program in Rochester Hills. The Outreach Coordinator is responsible for recruiting reward partners, planning events and increasing local engagement with Recyclebank.
Part-time (anticipated 15 hours/week)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Work with the local chamber of commerce, other community groups, and individual small business owners to expand the local reward partner catalog and promote local commerce through local reward redemption; build a pipeline of potential leads in relevant rewards categories.
- Set up meetings with qualified prospects, educate clients on the benefits of online advertising and present Recyclebank as a unique way for businesses to connect with customers in their city and its environs.
- Research data on a variety of stakeholders, such as community, environmental, religious, and non-profit organizations that might be helpful in Rochester Hills efforts to promote recycling and contamination reduction.
- Promote the Rochester Hills Recyclebank program at events, schools, community meetings, and with local businesses.
- When applicable, work with the designated hauler representative or city community outreach and communication department to collaborate on events and education materials.
- Serve as a liaison between Rochester Hills City Hall and Recyclebank
- When applicable, work with representative or city community outreach and communication coordinator from current Rochester Hills recyclables hauler (GFL Environmental to clarify data streams for optimal Recyclebank reporting.
- Provide process improvement feedback to Recyclebank on member experience.
- Keep records of outreach efforts including number of attendees (events), time spent (recruiting rewards partners), key moments, and other critical information.
- Help Recyclebank ensure that residents properly understand how to recycle in the community, how they can participate in the Recyclebank program, and how residents are rewarded for recycling and other sustainable actions they take in conjunction with the Recyclebank program.
Experience & Education
- Experience organizing events and managing programs
- Big Plus: Experience working with local businesses
- Experience with community engagement and/or education experience
General competencies include:
- A good understanding of the community at large, including businesses and neighborhoods within the community (or a proven ability to learn quickly)
- Passionate about community outreach with an active interest in recycling or sustainability more broadly
- Outgoing and personable, with solid communication and presentation skills; not afraid to “cold-call” businesses
- Reliable, independent worker
- Able to represent Recyclebank professionally in environments where residents, rewards partners or potential rewards partners, city officials, and/or hauler partner representatives are present
- Good communication skills: ability to remain in constant communication with both City Hall and Recyclebank
- Willingness to become local recycling expert in the specified community and be able to interact with the public to address specific questions about recycling in the community and more broadly!
- Have reliable transportation (expenses reimbursable within limit)
- Strong Internet research skills and fluency with all standard Office Suite applications